Making white sauce from scratch may not sound like the sort of thing that belongs in a seven minute recipe, but it really is almost as easy as warming up sauce in a jar. This cheesy sauce isn’t a health food, but a small amount over veggies makes for a yummy and balanced meal. This recipe uses the sauce in a broccoli salad, it also goes great with cauliflower or you could use substitute any veggies you want.
Broccoli with blue cheese sauce
- 1 heaped teaspoon butter
- 1 desert spoon plain flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 100 grams blue cheese
- 1 head broccoli
- mixed salad greens
- Melt the butter in a small frypan
- While you are waiting for the butter to melt, chop the broccoli into small florets and place in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Once the butter is completely melted, add the flour and stir into a paste, proceed immediately to step 3 (the goal is not to let the butter paste cook for too long).
- Add 1/3 cup of the milk a small amount at a time stirring continuously into the butter paste.
- Once the sauce begins to thicken add the remaining milk slowly while stirring continuously
- Chop the rind off the blue cheese, chop into small chunks and add to the white sauce. If you like a stronger blue flavour you can leave more of the rind, although your sauce may be a little chunky.
- Stir the blue cheese though the white sauce
- Remove the broccoli from the microwave container and pat dry
- Place the salad greens and broccoli in a bowl and top with the cheese sauce
- Add pepper to taste.