This recipe is another meal which features cooking in a sandwich press, which I love because it’s so much quicker and easier to clean than a grill. The carrots in this recipe are unpeeled because I like the taste and of course it’s quicker. You could of course peel the carrots, but you miss out on all nutrients near the surface of the carrot and the recipe will probably take longer than 7 minutes unless you are a ninja with a veggie peeler.
Grilled carrot salad with sweet potato and kale
- 2 carrots
- 2 inches or so from a medium sized sweet potato
- Curley kale
- 1/3rd of a cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 desert spoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 desert spoon honey
- 1 desert spoon chilli flakes
- sea-salt to taste
- cooking oil spray
- To chop the carrots, first cut off the top and bottom, then cut a thin (1/8 inch) slice off one side. Place the carrot with side you just cut facing down and chop the rest of the carrot into 1/8 inch widths.
- Spray some cooking oil on the sandwich press then add the carrots, top with another spray of oil and a sprinkle of sea-salt then close the press.
- Peel the sweet potato, cut into 1/8 inch slices and add to the sandwich press with the carrots.
- Chop the kale and put in a serving bowl.
- In a jar add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and chilli flakes and shake well
- After 4 minutes your carrots should have developed nice grill marks and be nice and soft, pull off the sandwich press and add to the serving bowl and top with the dressing.
- Top with a good sprinkle of sea-salt and serve.
This recipe gets four stars for ease of clean up, you have to wipe down the sandwich press, but there is just the serving bowl and the chopping board to wash.