For me, learning to cook potatoes in the microwave was a revelation. It is much faster and easier to cook a vegetable I love. This recipe is one of many where I use flavoured salts. Salt is essential for many vegetarian recipes and a really nice salt will bring that extra something special to a simple meal like this one. I recommend the Murray River chilli infused salt but I also love the Halen Mon’s organic spices salt.
The potatoes for this recipe need to be small, 1″ in diameter is ideal. I buy a bag of potatoes from my local farmers markets and there are always a few small ones which are suitable. If you can’t find small potatoes don’t worry, the recipe will work fine, it will just take longer than 7 minutes.
- 6 small new potatoes
- 2 inches of leek
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons butter (or olive oil for the vegans)
- chilli infused sea salt to taste
- Chop the leeks and place in a dry microwave container along with the whole potatoes. Do not chop the potatoes in half as the exposed flesh will develop a funny texture when microwaved.
- Microwave for three minutes. Check your potatoes are well cooked, you may need to cook for an additional minute or two depending on the size of your potatoes.
- Put the peas and the garlic into a separate microwave container and cook for two minutes.
- Chop the potatoes in half and add the butter and salt
- When the peas are done add them to the bowl and toss all ingredients together
This recipe gets four stars for ease of clean up. Two microwave containers and the chopping board need to be washed.