Instantly marinated tofu triangles
Tofu is one of my staples. But often when I am trying to cook quickly I don’t have time to properly press and marinate the tofu and it can ends up being really tasteless.
I’m rarely organised enough to prepare ahead of time or patient enough to wait an hour while my tofu marinates. When you skip this step the tofu doesn’t have time to soak up the flavour of the marinade and so it can easily become tasteless.
Instead I slice the tofu thinly and spread marinade inside sandwiches of tofu. This sandwich traps the marinade into the tofu, so need for it to soak. Cooking on a sandwich press is not only quick, it also further squishes the flavour into the tofu. Continue reading “Instantly marinate tofu with this easy hack for the lazy cook”
I was going to make a video of this recipe, but the time I got home from work it was late and the sun was setting. Without natural light in the kitchen, I had to turn on the fluorescent lights, which make the food look awful. So no video today.
This is a fun dish to make and to eat. Plus it’s super tasty. Sometimes, like tonight, I make it as a main meal. But it’s also great as an entree, tasty, pretty looking and you eat it with your hands. I have a few end of year get togethers planned and this is one of the dishes that I know I can pull together quickly and give myself more time with my guest and less in the kitchen.
spicy tofu lettuce cups
- 125 grams (4.5 ounces) firm tofu
- 1 cup bean shoots
- baby cos lettuce
- 1 chilli
- 1 heaped teaspoon of vegetable stock
- 1 clove garlic
- Slice the tofu into 1cm thick slices and place into fry pan with a splash of oil
- Once the tofu is warm mash with a potato masher into mince size pieces
- Add a heaped teaspoon of veggie stock to the tofu and cook until it browns slightly, which should take 2 or 3 minutes.
- While the tofu is cooking chop the chilli into small pieces and add to the tofu
- Crush the garlic clove and add to the tofu
- Add the bean shoots and cook until warm
- Wash the lettuce leaves, pick 5 cup-shaped leaves and arrange on a serving plate
- Scoop the tofu mix into the lettuce cups and serve.