I was talking with a friend recently about this blog and she wasn’t sure that there were healthy meals that would be faster to make than her go to lazy meal: grilled cheese. Grilled cheese sounds so easy while something like a Mediterranean zucchini ribbon salad sounds complicated and like it would take a while to make.
I decided to time making my favourite grilled cheese, egg in a hole grilled cheese. It took over ten minutes for me to pull together this sandwich. So I hope this goes some way to proving my point that if you have time to make grilled cheese you have time to make a healthy meal.
So much of what we think about food and cooking is determined by culture. Culturally grilled cheese is a quick meal for lazy days and so it feels like it will be easy and quick to cook. In fact, making this sandwich took longer and included more steps than many of the recipes I have posted before. For example my Cucumber salad with tahini dressing only 5 steps and can easily made in 7 minutes. *end rant*
This recipe is not really in keeping with the spirit of this blog, it takes ten minutes to cook and it contains no vegetables. However I used to make this all the time and it took me a while to perfect the timings for each step. None of the recipes I found online had the perfect timing to produce a runny yolk, with a properly cooked egg white and nicely melted cheese, so I thought this would be worth sharing with you.
I use rye bread because it’s a little more substantial and the taste goes so well with melted cheesy goodness.
Egg in a hole grilled cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 slices rye bread
- 2 slices cheese
- Salsa to taste
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- Melt the butter in a small frying pan
- Place a slice of rye bread on a chopping board and press into it with a small glass, cutting a hole from the center of the slice
- Once the butter is melted add the bread to the fry pan
- After 30 seconds or so of the bread toasting, crack the egg into the hole in the bread.
- Let the egg fry for 2 minutes
- Cover the egg with a slice of cheese
- Spread salsa over the slice of cheese and cover with a second slice of bread
- After another 1 minute flip the sandwich, leaving the whole slice of bread on the bottom.
- Top with another slice of cheese. Once the slice of cheese on top is just melted the sandwich is done